WELCOME ALL CRAFTERS AND CAT LOVERS

I LOVE ANIMALS, MORE SO CATS. I SEE INSPIRATION IN EVERYTHING. SO I DO WHAT I CAN, WITH WHAT I HAVE, WHERE I AM.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ermest Hemingway's Six Toed Cat

Here is something I gleaned from the net this morning. Because Ernest Hemingway was impressed and captivated by a friends poly-dactyl cat, it all started with a cat named Snowball. He was given a six-toed cat from a sea captain named Stanley Dexter . Today some of the cats who live at the Hemingway Home and Museum are descendants of that original cat.

There are variations to that online data, as another claims that a sea captain gave Hemingway a female, double pawed cat that was named Princess.

Sailors believed that six-toed cats were lucky. Cats arrived on Key West in the early 19th century in the company of sailors looking for sunken treasure.

Is any of this information true facts? As stated I gleaned it off the net, so I don't know?

6 comments:

Admiral Hestorb said...

Well, I learned something then. I knew about the poly-dactyl cats and Hemingway but I had no idea about the rest of the info. I knew the cats are in residence there in Key west though.
xox

Kea said...

Once in a long while I check out the Hemingway live web cam, always sweet to see the cats roaming around amongst the tourists!

I don't know about the info as fact, but I imagine extra toes might have given cats an advantage in catching rats aboard ship. Well, sounds good in theory. LOL.

KrafteKat said...

Well I just learned something, as I did not know the Hemingway home had a live web cam.

I guess Hemingway was quite a character. I once read he was more inspired to write when he was drinking. When he left that beautiful estate to cats, I always felt perhaps he liked cats more then he liked people.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Yep, it's mostly true about the poly-dactyls and he is quite famous for them too!

Boo-Bah AKA Iris said...

This is so interesting. I had no idea about live web cam. I have always loved the six toed cats. Their little paws are just so cute!! We used to have one, his name Was Harvey the six toed guitar man. The kids who are grown now , gave him the name.

Cat said...

I have been to Hemingway House in KW and taken the tour. There they claim the sea captain gave Hemingway the six-toe. There are about forty resident cats on the property that are all very well cared for!